 Administrative / NNTP / 659
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:22:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Larry Pieniazek writes:
That benefit hasn't been shown. Not to my satisfaction.

I'm not sure which way I'll go on this one. For the most part, I don't see
any harm to *LUGNET* or its members for Lego Reps to post 'officially' to
other groups. I only really see potential harm for TLC, or the reps themselves.

Personally, upon reflection on all this hubbub, my advice to TLC employees
is to just set their settings (once) to a non LEGO(r) address and post
wherever they need to post. When they're making an official pronouncement,
stamp their siggy with "this is an official answer to the question that was
raised by a fan" and answer it in the appropriate (theme) group. That seems
to comply with the letter of the new requirements. And they can just skip
ever setting the address settings back to a LEGO address.

I rather like this idea-- kinda. That is to say I think perhaps the best
solution is to handle this more automatically than manually. I know Todd
mentioned a 2-step system (this being the first step), and perhaps this is
what the goal is, but just to clarify...

In a 'perfect' world, I'm imagining that Lego Employees' accounts are
created with special enhancements/limitations/whatever in the web interface
(and also behind the scenes on the server to a degree). I dunno how
*FEASIBLE* it is, but I know it's at least theoretically possible.

One way would be to have Lego Employees actually sign up with 2 email
addresses, and the Lugnet server 'corrects' the email address for them when
posted to a non-Lego group, if an official address was specified. That would
effectively be the current solution, only made simpler from a user perspective.

And of course the other solution would be to have 'disclaimers' or
'claimers' (what would you call them?) which would 'appear' (this'd be
mainly on the web interface, I expect) when a message was "official" or not.
Hence, messages from @lego.com appear marked as "official" when in the Lego
heirarchy, but whenever they use the same address elsewhere, it appears
without the "I'm an official Lego rep" label on it... Not as nice, and still
capable of leading to problems, but I dunno...

Anyway, some thoughts...

DaveE