 Administrative / NNTP / 658
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:52:07 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
I agree that it would be a little presumptuous to dictate to TLC too much
about _how_ dealings should occur (as in expecting unreasonble things to
happen), but it's not presumptuous at all to dictate (or let's say specify)
_where_ official dealings should occur.

Second, on more than one occasion when Suzanne and I have met with TLC, they
did specifically ask us to let them know how and where we would like them to
participate at LUGNET, and they have always been very understanding and
respectful of the fact that their presence at LUGNET is by permission, not
by some universal right.  In other words:  It's neither dangerous nor
presumptuous to make a rule like this.

In fact, when we talked with Brad Justus in March-April of 2000 about ways
to help him find and sort out replies to his posts -- and help people find
his subsequent replies and other new announcements more easily among all
other replies, we came up with the .lego.* area for the official
communication channel.  At that time, we didn't say, "Now, all of your
official LEGO business are to go in this special area and in this special
area only," but the reason we didn't is because I think it was pretty much
understood at the time (and let's remember that Brad was the only TLC
employee posting here at that time).  It is possible that Brad's view on the
issue differed from ours at that time and we didn't know it, or that views
agreed but didn't get effectively communicated to others at LEGO Direct.  In
any case, the filter recently installed simply implements in a structured
way what has always been the intention since last year.

The Bionicle thread last Thursday was the catalyst.  Not that there was
anything wrong with it, it was just an eye-opener.  Also see above.

--Todd

To Todd,

Thanks for this explanation. I hope that everyone reads it. I've clipped it
only a little in hopes that more people will find it and read it.

Based on that post, I have changed my mind and support your decision. I
suspect it helps Larry and Mark P. and many others also, though obviously I
can't speak for them. I supsect most of us don't read the Bionicle threads,
so your new rule came out of no where for most of us and seemed, because we
were ignorant, capricious. I have to say that the other thing that helped
start to change my mind was where you told Larry to trust you. It reminded
me of the pursuit of fairness with which you have maintained Lugnet.

To the rest of the Lugs,

Let's all give Todd a chance. He has always been more than reasonable here.
(eg, when a few of us petitioned months ago for a place to discuss clone
brands on this site that he created to discuss the Lego brand, he gave it to
us.) He is not given to arbitrariness. Let's not forget that Todd built
Lugnet to be a great place and that more than anyone he has an interest in
maintaining it and improving it. Just like I think we need a lot less
kvetcing at TLC, we could use less kvetching at Todd.