 Administrative / NNTP / 638
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 02:00:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Robin Sather writes:
[...]
However ...

There is a danger.  It's a given that most of us want TLC involved
with the AFOL community, at least at some level.  However, it's very
difficult, if not impossible, to dictate to TLC how to deal with us.
In fact, it's a little presumptuous.

I agree that it would be a little presumptuous to dictate to TLC too much
about _how_ dealings should occur (as in expecting unreasonble things to
happen), but it's not presumptuous at all to dictate (or let's say specify)
_where_ official dealings should occur.  How do I know that?  Well, first,
TLC doesn't own, operate, or sponsor this site; it is a guest here -- a
guest that we all hopefully would like to see stay and enjoy a beneficial
relationship with -- but a guest nevertheless.

Second, on more than one occasion when Suzanne and I have met with TLC, they
did specifically ask us to let them know how and where we would like them to
participate at LUGNET, and they have always been very understanding and
respectful of the fact that their presence at LUGNET is by permission, not
by some universal right.  In other words:  It's neither dangerous nor
presumptuous to make a rule like this.

In fact, when we talked with Brad Justus in March-April of 2000 about ways
to help him find and sort out replies to his posts -- and help people find
his subsequent replies and other new announcements more easily among all
other replies, we came up with the .lego.* area for the official
communication channel.  At that time, we didn't say, "Now, all of your
official LEGO business are to go in this special area and in this special
area only," but the reason we didn't is because I think it was pretty much
understood at the time (and let's remember that Brad was the only TLC
employee posting here at that time).  It is possible that Brad's view on the
issue differed from ours at that time and we didn't know it, or that views
agreed but didn't get effectively communicated to others at LEGO Direct.  In
any case, the filter recently installed simply implements in a structured
way what has always been the intention since last year.

TLC is "THE" big fish in our
pond.  A pond where the entire Lugnet community is still just a
slightly fatter minnow than the millions of other minnows.  TLC could
just decide, at any point, that Lugnet is just too much bother.  Why
they decide this is completely irrelevant, and entirely out of our
control.  It would be a shame if this happened, and we would miss them
greatly.  I, for one, do not want it to.

Again, TLC understands that it is a guest here, and it understands the need
for boundaries.  Understanding that it is a guest, it is willing to work
within defined boundaries.  Further, it specifically asked long ago to be
told what those boundaries are.  Don't worry that it would pick up stakes
and leave over something as trivial as what newsgroups it was invited and
not invited to post in.

Of course, a lot of us are wondering what actually happened to bring
this on?  What was the "catalyst" that Todd spoke about.

The Bionicle thread last Thursday was the catalyst.  Not that there was
anything wrong with it, it was just an eye-opener.  Also see above.

--Todd