 Administrative / NNTP / 529
Re: I can't access LUGNET through nntp today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 21:11:35 GMT

Carlo Ottolina wrote:

Dan,
thanks for your suggestions!
Unfortunately, rejecting connections to port 113 is exactly what I am doing
now.
(See, I usually don't expose internal workstations to the internet... ;-) )
I am now accepting tcp connections on port 113 only from lugnet nntp server,
and only to my personal workstation.
Yes, I am a bit retentive, here, and I did a small network analizer session,
to check which kind of data is requested from the server...
The only packet exiting my machine is a TCP RST ACK in response to the TCP
SYN, no problem at all.
I still not undestand the need for this back-check, but I can live with
it....

Cheers
Carlo

if it's sending back a RST ACK that means the port is closed on your
workstation, and that's all the server wanted to know...  since from
your earlier log didn't mention anything about resets being sent back to
lugnet, I just assumed it was dropping and packets...  absorbing them
instead of rejecting...

anyway, glad it works for ya :)

Dan