 Administrative / NNTP / 461
Re: I can't access LUGNET through nntp today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:59:41 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Dan Boger writes:

That could be it.  IIRC, the HTTP server doesn't do reverse lookups
but the NNTP server does.

hmmm... would that cause the 440 error (new users start here)?  I've
been getting that with slrn when I tried to post from home... and my
!@#$!@ verison dhcp may or may not backwards resolve...

Might that be the reason?

Hmm, no, the "new users start here" message only happens once the article
is received and going through the auth stages.  I think your newsreader must
be submitting a faulty 'From:' header...I see a line like this (which is
missing your name):

   From: dan@peeron.com

in the dead-articles file on the server.

ah ha!  thank you much, slrn will be reconfigured tonight :)  but that
doesn't explain why I couldn't cancle my own post with netscape, does
it?  my link posted to .trains, I tried to cancle it, but still got the
"new uesrs" message...  but I could post regulary without a problem...

ideas?

Dan