 Administrative / NNTP / 460
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
DYA is marginally part of the
community since it is a retailer selling LEGO products and is essentially as
much downstream from LEGO as the rest of us are.

So we'd love to have Walmart.com start posting here about Lego sets they
have available?  Or KBKids or Amazon or ZanyBrainy?  If anyone would be here
for one reason only (i.e., our money) it would be retailers who happen to
sell Lego sets.  They don't care that we love Lego.  They don't care about
MOCs or train shows.  They only care that we buy Lego sets from them.

TLC, on the other hand, not only sells and markets Lego, they love Lego.
They care that we love Lego.  They care about MOCs and train shows.  They
care not only or simply because our love for Lego makes them money.  Lego
employees have reasons for coming to this website that are not only or
simply to make more money for Lego.

And the argument that Lego employee posts waste our time is specious.  I
choose to allot a certain amount of time to reading posts here.  The fact
that there are far more posts here than I have time to read doesn't make me
spend more time reading.  Someone posts their latest MOC and we get dozens
of "that's so cool" posts.  Those posts are the sort we could better do with
fewer.  Anybody ever heard of email?

John Hansen