 Administrative / NNTP / 451
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:51:13 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tim Courtney writes:
Yep, its a me too post.  I couldn't have said it better than Frank.

I think that stuff like S@H announcements, and the DYA example, suggests a
double standard.  Unless, I am misunderstanding something...

Tim, it is a double standard.  OF COURSE it's a double standard.  And that's
a GOOD THING in this case.  Let me elaborate so that you understand.  The
charter of lugnet.lego.announce includes "LEGO Direct announcements," which
means it is free to post to its heart's content about sales, promotions,
anything LEGO feels is worth announcing to its online consumers (i.e., us).
That's clearly a double standard because other companies (or businesses)
don't have their very own .announce group and also stick to the .market
areas.  LEGO doesn't have to do that.  LEGO is why we're all here, and that
makes it special.  LUGNET is also special in that it gets an .admin area to
keep the admin noise out of the regular groups (as much as is reasonably
possible).  At the other end of the spectrum, LEGO is special in a very
different way:  it's not actually _part of_ the community it has spawned,
and it shouldn't conduct business as if it is.  Themed discussion groups
like .trains and .technic.bionicle were established for fans to meet one
another, find information, and share ideas.  DYA is marginally part of the
community since it is a retailer selling LEGO products and is essentially as
much downstream from LEGO as the rest of us are.

--Todd