 Administrative / NNTP / 446
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 06:22:18 GMT

Yep, its a me too post.  I couldn't have said it better than Frank.

I think that stuff like S@H announcements, and the DYA example, suggests a
double standard.  Unless, I am misunderstanding something...

-Tim

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Eric Kingsley wrote:
1.  Time = Money
The time I have to dedicate to reading LUGNET is somewhat limited.  I am • not
interested in what contest LEGO is running today, or why Bionicle masks • arn't
properly randomized, or that S@H just got some Fort Legorado's in.  I • prefer to
*spend* my *time* reading fan posts and looking at pictures of MOC's.

So you would prefer to hear about the Fort Legoredo's from some AFOL
posting that he just found out that S@H got a bunch in and he just
bought them all? What is different from Brad telling us "hey Shop at
Home got this pile of nice sets" and a fan saying "I just got off the
phone with Shop at Home and the sales person was kind enough to ask me
if I might be interested in any of these nice older sets"?

Based on this feeling, do we tell folks like DYA to not post, or do we
create a lugnet.dya?

And hey, if we're worried about folks posting here who want to make
money off us, I wonder if we should tell Larry he can no longer talk
about his kits here.

2.  LEGO came here for one reason, to make more Money.
I agree that LEGO should make as much money as they can, but don't do it • on my
dime.  If I want to know what LEGO has to say and I have some free time • I will
check out the .lego. groups.  My reason for being here is to be with • fans.  I
don't plan on consulting for LEGO for free to help them make more money. • I
will gladly spend my money on LEGO but I don't want LUGNET to become a • big LEGO
advertising forum.

Is TLC having the capability of answering our questions in the forum
they are asked in TLC making more money on your dime?

Oh well, it seems Todd is highly unlikely to change his mind. I wonder
how many TLC AFOLs we now have no chance of ever hearing from because
they don't happen to have the desire to set up to post using a non-TLC
e-mail address. I wonder how many useful "official" answers we will now
never get because another set of TLC employees set up to only use their
personal e-mail.

I also wonder what effect this will have on things like Brickshelf and
the set databases when TLC gets their own up? I doubt it will have a
negative effect, but who knows.

Frank