 Administrative / NNTP / 445
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 05:42:40 GMT

First, I want to say I may regret replying to this post, I see everybody has
left it alone so far - its kinda scary being the one breaking the ice, lol.

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
<snip>

It's about avoiding dilution of what the community is.

I personally do not think they would dilute the community, only make it
stronger. They do this by providing understanding, wether it be about the
distrubtion of masks, train contests, or old sets they found in the
wherehouse and want to give us a heads up on.
To go kinda off in the direction of that last one - they were going to sell
the sets no matter what, but they were nice enough to tell us about it
first, and give us the chance to get them before anybody else. Anybody could
have easily passed that thread up, it only effected the people who *let* it
effect them.
What have they done that has diluted lugnet? I can not figure this one out.

LUGNET discussion groups were founded for fans to talk to other fans.  The
LEGO Company isn't a fan -- it is a business, and its purpose in life is to
sell products and make money.  It doesn't talk like fans, it doesn't think
like fans, and it isn't _part of_ the community it spawned, no matter how
seductive it may be to believe that.

But the "lego company" itself is not talking to us, a few people within the
company are, and to the best of my knowledge, they are fans of lego - and
they are trying to answer the questions *we* ask of them, and give us heads
up on things we would find out anyway.

In other words, this isn't about clarifying whether or not a given post is
official or unofficial -- it's about making sure that official LEGO Company
business simply stays within the ordained areas.

But, if we ask then a question within a themed thread, why would they not be
able to answer that question within that same thread?  ANd why force them to
stay on that side of the fence? I feel they should be allowed to answer
questions directed to them in the thread it was asked, so you do not have to
hunt for any amount of time to see if they answered you or not.

We still welcome LEGO here -- that has never changed -- it just became
apparent yesterday that we would need to reassert and reclarify the
boundaries.  If LEGO officially has issues with these boundaries, they know
how to use the telephone.

I am still missing what happened yesterday, what was it that push you over
the edge?

--Todd

So to make it easy to find a post by them in the limited space they are
given, why don't you only allow them (and none of us non-lego people)to post
in those sections? I think it would make sence for that, that way there
would not be lots of replys to wade through - it would make the haystack
that much smaller, and the needle that much bigger.

Keep in mind I am trying to make sense of this still, I know this is your
site, and you will do with it as you like - this point has not been lost here.
Mark P
mfuss903