 Administrative / NNTP / 450
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 07:30:59 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:
Eric Kingsley wrote:
1.  Time = Money
The time I have to dedicate to reading LUGNET is somewhat limited.
I am not interested in what contest LEGO is running today, or why
Bionicle masks arn't properly randomized, or that S@H just got
some Fort Legorado's in.  I prefer to *spend* my *time* reading
fan posts and looking at pictures of MOC's.

So you would prefer to hear about the Fort Legoredo's from some AFOL
posting that he just found out that S@H got a bunch in and he just
bought them all? What is different from Brad telling us "hey Shop at
Home got this pile of nice sets" and a fan saying "I just got off the
phone with Shop at Home and the sales person was kind enough to ask me
if I might be interested in any of these nice older sets"?

The difference is collossal.  One is a company acting opportunistically to
dump obsolete stock and the other is a community of like-minded peers
sharing information.

Please don't think that anyone is saying that LEGO shouldn't be allowed to
announce their sales themselves.  Keep in mind that there is a group called
lugnet.lego.announce for LEGO to post official announcements in.  If it
becomes problematic to find official announcements of the type mentioned
above among other official announcements in that group, one way we could
deal with that is by creating a special separate group/list just for special
official LEGO sales or promotional announcements.  Things are flexible
within the .lego.* area.

--Todd