 Administrative / NNTP / 462
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 15:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, "Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:
I think that now, or a few months from now, is a good time to define a more
clear relationship between TLC and the adult community.  What do they want
from us?  [...]

Money.  They're a business.  Don't ever forget it.

--Todd

Sorry Todd, but you seem to say that in a negative tone and I don't see a
reason for that! We all know that LEGO is a company and therefor wants to
make money [1]. But what's wrong with that? Remember that LU(gnet) is a
place for LEGO USERS so in fact the fans here will (and have) spend much
money on LEGO, independent of LDs postings. I am willing to spend money and
I am also willing to stay informed about new ways of spending my money. I
know TLC is mostly interested in selling their products, but I am using
Lugnet because I am interested in letting them selling products to me, I
**do want** them to tell me more possibilities to buy LEGO products. That's
also the main reason why I am talking to other Fans using Lugnet. I try to
find out where new (promotional) models have shown up. So, in fact I don't
care who tells me about these things, other Fans or LEGO directly. I'd
rather prefer official announcements though!

So, in all, I am totally dissapointed of this new filtering system. I was
never annoyed of the infos they gave us. The recent discussions in the
.bionicle (that's the way to spell it!!!) were extremely helpful to me and I
was more than happy to see LEGO Direct informing us about these aspects. I
don't really see why such a discussion should take place in .lego.* (where a
discussion is obviously undesired anyway). The content of that thread was
*only* Bionicle-related so I don't see why it should be limited to the
.lego.* groups, really! However, to get back to the financial aspect: LEGO
has clarified the Bionicle problem *after* I had already spent my $400 on
masks, too late to get more money out of my pockets, but still these answers
were extremely important to me.

Todd, your attitude towards TLC joining Lugnet has IMHO changed
dramastically lately. Somehow, I also got the feeling that you don't like
their postings although you say the're welcome. Nobody will ever forget that
making money is their primary goal, but since I want them to make money (by
giving me GOOD products), I simply don't see what caused you changing your view.

Bye, Christian --- xTIAN.
Lugnet Member #479 -- The World is full of AFOLs !
mail: xtian@brickmaster.de web: www.brickmaster.de

[1] Besides the fact that LEGO is a company, the individual employees
posting here seem to be both: employees *and* AFOLs ! And so not all of
their postings will automatically be written in order to make money for
their employer, I much more have the feeling that LD employees are trying to
support us *although* they have to make money by posting here.