 Administrative / NNTP / 1561 (-10)
  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Uncomfortable posting what exactly? (...) That's my point. Why should there ever arise that kind of situation? If it is on-topic, what could possibly be the problem? (...) I assume you are talking about on-topic subjects that would belong in (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Absolutely. The folks outside of my local LUG that I associate the most with are all friendships developed in .debate. I also wanted to add a comment to those who might wonder what does religion have to do with Lugnet: My previous post in this (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I am not against creating 1,000s of subgroups. But as a result of doing this, it has created in my mind the need to sequester those groups from....THE CHILDREN. Yes, you can jest if you like, but there has already been a backlash against the (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) But you are talking about LEGO related questions, not personal questions. I have no problem with LUGNET boards that very specifically relate to LEGO. It's all of the personal stuff that I am questioning. (...) But they didn't get together (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Oh, won't someone please think of the children?!? This is the same panic-driven slippery-slope reasoning that is used to justify all kinds of anti-gay action, so it's fitting that it should pop up here as well. It's pointless scaremongering to (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I disagree. To attempt NOT to create a community, you can't really have post-to-able boards, but instead something more like MOCpages or BrickShelf where there's room to post Lego creations, but no back-and-forth communication. Hence, asking (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote: <snip> (...) However, if certain people are uncomfortable posting in .general groups, or certain people are uncomfortable reading about certain things in .general groups, shouldn't there be sub groups made to (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Well, maybe it should be. (...) Maybe the purpose of LUGNET shouldn't be to create a community, but rather be a resource center for all things pertaining to LEGO. Boards are useful for communication among AFOLs, and many AFOLs have come to (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Is it truly an irrelevant detail? If it was, wouldn't that NOT create discrimination? True, on a day to day basis, for the most part, we don't care if any individual is LGBT, married, single, straight, young, old, or whatever. But Lugnet is (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) And I would concur with the general idea about assigning labels leads to the depreciation of folks. That said, here's a thing--hypothetical-- Gay person wants to talk about his gayness in relation to his hobby. Either he wants to ask advice on (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact