 Administrative / NNTP / 1560
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:37:40 GMT

John wrote:
I agree that relating to AFOLs off-topic is fun and I do it.  I just
question that that is necessarily good for LUGNET as a whole as it
relates to the world community outside of LUGNET.

Absolutely. The folks outside of my local LUG that I associate the most with
are all friendships developed in .debate.

I also wanted to add a comment to those who might wonder what does religion
have to do with Lugnet: My previous post in this thread is the single most
religious thing I've said or written in the past several weeks, and that
would be true even if I didn't go off on the tangent of talking about
religions.

And that's an important thing to think about. None of us stop being who we
are when we come through the door to Lugnet. Some of us are very religious,
others are very a-religious, others are married, others are dealing with the
loss of a loved one, others are LGBT, whatever. If we are to be real people,
we can't just shut parts of ourselves off (as much as we sometimes try to -
especially at work).

I also have to say that without the community building of non-LEGO
discussion here, I would likely not be anywhere near as involved in the
hobby. All of the hobbies and interests I have are things where real
friendship exists, and real friendship is built on community.

Frank