 Administrative / NNTP / 1561
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:48:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Koudys wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:

snip

   But isn’t that exactly what you do when you aren’t all inclusive of creating all groups for every group instead of a token few?

JOHN

However, if certain people are uncomfortable posting in .general groups,

Uncomfortable posting what exactly?

   or certain people are uncomfortable reading about certain things in .general groups,

That’s my point. Why should there ever arise that kind of situation? If it is on-topic, what could possibly be the problem?

   shouldn’t there be sub groups made to allow for such discussions to take place, taking these issues away from .general?

And if many of us are comfortable discussing stuff in .general, then why add unneeded groups to the mix?

I assume you are talking about on-topic subjects that would belong in .general. Yes?

   Again the example is .org and .loc--I mean I know that many people read .rtltoronto for whatever reason, and those that read it know that LEGO is a topic that doesn’t show up in many posts. THankfully Todd lets us get away with it ;)

But isn’t it better to have Toronto Tangents relegated to .rtlT than to have them posted in some sort of .general NG?

Well, in theory, they are BOTH TOS violations.

   Just as isn’t it nice to have a specific .singles group now for me to post in instead of going on about my singleness experiences with LEGO in the .general group,

Uh, don’t you mean the .people group?

   so those that want to limit their reading and posting to only .general topics aren’t innundated with ‘Dave Tangents’?

Not necessarily at all.

   I dunno. I don’t forsee this NG becoming as compartmentalized as the alt. NG’s due to the inherent general interests of the LEGO fan, but some compartmentalization may facilitate a ‘comfort zone’ for individuals who are uncomfortable ‘lettin’ it all hang out in .general.‘(1)

Dave K 1- who doesn’t seem to be uncomfortable anywhere in LUGNET...

I am getting uncomfortable with people getting too comfortable in public groups on LUGNET.

JOHN