 Administrative / NNTP / 1555
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:31:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:

<snip>

But isn't that exactly what you do when you aren't [all] inclusive of
creating [all] groups for [every] group instead of a token few?

[JOHN]

However, if certain people are uncomfortable posting in .general groups, or
certain people are uncomfortable reading about certain things in .general
groups, shouldn't there be sub groups made to allow for such discussions to take
place, taking these issues away from .general?

And if many of us are comfortable discussing stuff in .general, then why add
unneeded groups to the mix?

Again the example is .org and .loc--I mean I know that many people read
.rtltoronto for whatever reason, and those that read it know that LEGO is a
topic that doesn't show up in many posts.  THankfully Todd lets us get away with
it ;)

But isn't it better to have Toronto Tangents relegated to .rtlT than to have
them posted in some sort of .general NG?  Just as isn't it nice to have a
specific .singles group now for me to post in instead of going on about my
singleness experiences with LEGO in the .general group, so those that want to
limit their reading and posting to only .general topics aren't innundated with
'Dave Tangents'?

I dunno.  I don't forsee this NG becoming as compartmentalized as the alt. NG's
due to the inherent general interests of the LEGO fan, but some
compartmentalization may facilitate a 'comfort zone' for individuals who are
uncomfortable 'lettin' it all hang out in .general.'(1)

Dave K
1- who doesn't seem to be uncomfortable anywhere in LUGNET...