 Administrative / NNTP / 1556
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:07:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:
Maybe the purpose of LUGNET [shouldn't] be to create a community, but rather
be a resource center for all things pertaining to LEGO.  Boards are useful
for communication among AFOLs, and many AFOLs have come to know each other as
a result of LUGNET, but I think the goal of creating a {LUGNET} community
might be questionable.

I disagree. To attempt NOT to create a community, you can't really have
post-to-able boards, but instead something more like MOCpages or BrickShelf
where there's room to post Lego creations, but no back-and-forth communication.
Hence, asking questions becomes up to the individuals interested in the answers,
and it's probably going to continue in email or some other venue. And if it's
done through email, lots of questions would go unanswered, lots of answers would
be repeated, and people who never thought of the questions would never know
their answers.

On top of that, without building a community you'd be a lot less likely to start
up LUG's and LTC's. They've been mostly founded because people met in an online
community, realized they were from the same area, and decided to get together--
not because they went around emailing random Lego fans in the hopes of finding
someone near them.

Well, therein lies the rub.  Because very quickly, these groups begin to
relate to each other in terms of their specific [non]LEGO interests, and the
thing that brought them together (LEGO) is forgotten.

Now that's a little unlikely :)

LUGNET quickly becomes just another adult/teen/whatever board that has
nothing to do with LEGO, even if the participants are AFOLs.

I think that's absolutely fine-- even encouraged. There's a reason that every
other board does that; it's because it's what people like. They like being part
of a community. They like recognizing names, being a recognized name themselves,
and having people they feel like they know and are safe talking with.

{Many} if not most of the .people hierarchy discussions quickly spin
off-topic, if they even started there at all.  I think it is a mistake not
to put .people in off-topic, because our lives (for most of us:-), though we
may be AFOLs, are not on-topic for LEGO.

That's actually something I'd agree with. lugnet.people could really fit within
lugnet.off-topic perfectly well. I don't think I mind it being in its own little
area, since the root ".people" isn't a sub-branch of a lego-related area like
.general.

Divorced people have a home in lugnet.people.support (and perhaps
lugnet.people.singles). It might be reasonable at some point in the future
to provide sub-groups of .support (or even .singles). Religion is a much
trickier one. Religion groups might well be appropriate, but how do you
decide which one's to create?

ISN"T THAT THE WHOLE POINT?  If you start splintering off sub-groups, [it
will never end!]  Now is the time to pause and consider the ramifications of
having done this.  It is like a pandora's box, and I don't see it as having
any benefit to the AFOL community {as a whole} (not to mention the youth).

I still don't see the problem. As the community grows, the need for smaller
sub-communities increases. I'd say create subgroups as they're needed or
requested (in earnest). Religious groups getting created? Sure! But I'd only
create ones that get asked for. .people.religion.christian.catholics,
people.religion.christian.protestant, .people.religion.jewish,
.people.religion.atheist I could see getting used. Probably even
.people.religion.islam. But is .people.religion.christian.amish necessary? I'd
doubt it. Gaist? Probably not. Bhuddhist? Hindu? Maybe. But worst comes to worst
if people want the group, they can ask for it, and if there's enough interest,
it should get created. At least, that's my take.

DaveE