 Administrative / NNTP / 1557
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:13:22 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:

   ISN”T THAT THE WHOLE POINT? If you start splintering off sub-groups, it will never end! Now is the time to pause and consider the ramifications of having done this. It is like a pandora’s box, and I don’t see it as having any benefit to the AFOL community as a whole (not to mention the youth).

Oh, won’t someone please think of the children?!?

This is the same panic-driven slippery-slope reasoning that is used to justify all kinds of anti-gay action, so it’s fitting that it should pop up here as well. It’s pointless scaremongering to wave a red flag and claim that the creation of subgroups will never end if one or two or ten or twenty groups are added. It’s a ridiculous charge--groups will be added only as they are perceived by the powers-that-be to be needed or desired by the community, and that’s how it should be. I can personally verify that your fears of infinite subgroups are unfounded, because I have witnessed numerous requests for new subgroups go unanswered. Apparently someone is at the wheel, and someone seems to have an idea of how to exercise restraint.

Dave!