 Administrative / NNTP / 1559
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:33:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Dave Schuler wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.nntp, John Neal wrote:

   ISN”T THAT THE WHOLE POINT? If you start splintering off sub-groups, it will never end! Now is the time to pause and consider the ramifications of having done this. It is like a pandora’s box, and I don’t see it as having any benefit to the AFOL community as a whole (not to mention the youth).

Oh, won’t someone please think of the children?!?

This is the same panic-driven slippery-slope reasoning that is used to justify all kinds of anti-gay action, so it’s fitting that it should pop up here as well. It’s pointless scaremongering to wave a red flag and claim that the creation of subgroups will never end if one or two or ten or twenty groups are added. It’s a ridiculous charge--groups will be added only as they are perceived by the powers-that-be to be needed or desired by the community, and that’s how it should be. I can personally verify that your fears of infinite subgroups are unfounded, because I have witnessed numerous requests for new subgroups go unanswered. Apparently someone is at the wheel, and someone seems to have an idea of how to exercise restraint.

I am not against creating 1,000s of subgroups. But as a result of doing this, it has created in my mind the need to sequester those groups from....THE CHILDREN. Yes, you can jest if you like, but there has already been a backlash against the “content” of the discussions on LUGNET (and many from abroad)(I didn’t catch her name;-) and I agree with them. It’s not that I have a problem with LGBTers talking about their experiences, for instance, it’s that I have a problem with those discussions happening on a public forum that is supposedly “kid-friendly”. Make the .people hierarchy OT and make all of the OT groups only accessible by adults, and the adults can do whatever the adults want. We can all be extra careful WRT to language and topics on LUGNET public, and let our hair down in private in OT. Seems like a win-win to me.

JOHN