 Administrative / NNTP / 1517
1516  |  1518
Subject:
Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.announce
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:52:01 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Long ago, when lugnet.people was created, the idea of subgroups was entertained. Possible subgroups envisioned at the time included Kids, Teens, Parents, and NSLOs. At the time, LUGNET was still small, and it was felt that creating these subgroups at that time would be premature; instead, see how things go in .people and then create subgroups someday later, as needed.

The idea was posited earlier this past week for an LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender) subgroup. The request generated a vast flood of responses, pro and con. Though at points painful in the present, this type of discussion is a maturing process, and the discussion per se is an important milestone in the community’s development and sense of identity.

The LUGNET Transition Team discussed (and debated) the issues raised during the week and over the weekend and achieved general consensus on new group charters and decided to move forward with the creation of new subgroups of lugnet.people.

So why are there so many newsgroups on LUGNET? Why is it so compartmentalized?

Newsgroup theory is all about identifying subsets of interest within a community and creating focused discussion groups for those subsets, in the context of a logical newsgroup hierarchy. It’s about creating and nurturing individual areas where people can discuss topics of interest without fear of being off-topic or being lost among the ambient noise of a larger or more general area.

Some have suggested that an LGBT group is unnecessary, as sexual orientation has absolutely nothing to do with LEGO. The reality is that no one knows for sure whether such a group is necessary or useful until it is created and used. Many groups on LUGNET go unused -- for weeks at a time, sometimes indefinitely -- and that’s OK; they don’t waste any system resources. Conversely, many groups previously thought to be unneeded here have actually found enormous followings.

Some have suggested that sexual orientation has no business being openly discussed on LUGNET. This opinion is quite respectable, but it does not recognize that sexual orientation is as much an identifying aspect of life for some people as, say, religion or occupation or hobbies are for others. Now, some people are of the further opinion that religion, occuptation, and other hobbies also have no place on LUGNET, and that’s also a valid position. However, because of compartmentalization, one can always pick and choose the groups one wishes to read and participate primarily in. In fact, everyone should probably take a few minutes to review their skip filter settings periodically.

Some have suggested that certain religious beliefs are being actively ignored, and that allowing the creation of an LGBT group, which openly embraces a lifestyle that is counter to those beliefs, is disrespectful to those beliefs. The fact is that while LUGNET respects all religious beliefs, it is also religion-neutral. Thus, religous beliefs play no role here in determining whether or not the creation of an LGBT group is warranted.

Some have said that they come here for LEGO (and LEGO only!) discussions, and have suggested that several of the new subgroups of .people are likely to run rampant with non-LEGO-related discussion. If this is the case, then the recommended course is to simply ignore such discussions, just as one would ignore LEGO-related topics that one finds uninteresting. That said, however, it bears pointing out that LUGNET has always had groups in which LEGO was not the main focus, and that with the possible exception of .off-topic.debate, having such groups is healthy if not essential for a large community like ours. Many people have made friends here initially because of a common interest in LEGO and have seen those friendships blossom far beyond the context of LEGO alone. This is liberating, and ties back into why compartmentalization can be so useful.

Finally, the measuring stick that was used in evaluating these groups was not whether they are relevant within the context of LEGO, but whether they are relevant within the context of the LEGO community. We all lead far richer lives than we could ever show or share though LEGO alone.

Peace to all, and may we all continue to love and grow.

--Todd