 Administrative / NNTP / 1537
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 02:47:33 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman wrote: SNIP
   Peace to all, and may we all continue to love and grow.

--Todd

By taking the premise of this site and adding specific adult themed groups, you’ve opened the door for what so many parents cringe about the internet. Now, thanks to this unilateral decision, we can look forward to people looking up “single lesbian bi” and coming up with “lugnet.com” as a result.

If people want equality and neutrality, then they cannot have publically defined labels. Although, I do agree there should be some “teen” vs. “adult” declaration, I do not see why we need to have Lesbian/Gay/Bi/Transgender within a domain themed around LEGO and Duplo.

Suggesting people adjust filter settings is rediculous... by default, any such “adult oriented” topics should automatically be filtered.

Why isn’t there a .people.straight, people.deviants? Will you post .people.fetish.beastiality? How about .people.fetish.necrophilia? Why not? The argument is that the subgroups should be allowed, right? Why not those? By not including them, you’re discriminating. How about .people.ticked-off? How about .people.losers or .people.winners?

Regardless, I’ll still use Lugnet (until it turns into a porn grounds or dating site)--because I am an adult--but LUGNET has no right in potentially subjecting my kids to adult sexual orientation newsgroups. Furthermore, I SHOULD NOT HAVE to tell my kids “stay away from such-n-such newsgroup”, nor need to explain to them what it has to do with Bionicle sets.

And no (before I get flamed), I could care less about someone’s sexual orientation, race, creed, etc. What I do care about is explaining to my children that “Lugnet is off-limits” and saying “because I said so” if I catch my network logs showing the adult-sexual-themed newsgroup headings.

The irony is that subgroups want to be treated like everyone else... yet they can’t live without labeling themselves and saying how unfair it is if they can’t be labeled. Talk about insecurity...

Rob