 Administrative / NNTP / 1545
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:31:45 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Rob Limbaugh wrote:

   By taking the premise of this site and adding specific adult themed groups,

That hasn’t happened.

   you’ve opened the door for what so many parents cringe about the internet.

And?

   Now, thanks to this unilateral decision, we can look forward to people

He said the Transition Team debated it. Isn’t Tim a part of that group?

   looking up “single lesbian bi” and coming up with “lugnet.com” as a result.

That could happen anyway.

   Suggesting people adjust filter settings is rediculous... by default, any such “adult oriented” topics should automatically be filtered.

There are no adult-oriented newsgroups on LUGNET.

   Why isn’t there a .people.straight, people.deviants? Will you post .people.fetish.beastiality? How about .people.fetish.necrophilia? Why not?

Probably because those won’t help the community.

   Regardless, I’ll still use Lugnet (until it turns into a porn grounds or dating site)--because I am an adult--but LUGNET has no right in potentially subjecting my kids to adult sexual orientation newsgroups.

Actually, you’re wrong. But beside that, LUGNET isn’t in any more danger now than it was last week.

   Furthermore, I SHOULD NOT HAVE to tell my kids “stay away from such-n-such newsgroup”, nor need to explain to them what it has to do with Bionicle sets.

And you don’t have to! But, I’ll point out that for years, people have noted that they restrict their childrens’ access to e.g. .off-topic.debate. I disagree with that restriction, and I think it’s odd for e.g. Larry to impose the restriction, but it is done as a matter of public record.

   And no (before I get flamed), I could care less about someone’s sexual orientation, race, creed, etc. What I do care about is explaining to my children that “Lugnet is off-limits” and saying “because I said so” if I catch my network logs showing the adult-sexual-themed newsgroup headings.

I agree! That’s a pretty crappy thing to do to your kids. You should care!

   The irony is that subgroups want to be treated like everyone else... yet they can’t live without labeling themselves and saying how unfair it is if they can’t be labeled. Talk about insecurity...

Geez. Pot, kettle, black. You’re the one who thinks your kids will be harmed bay the mere knowledge that gay people exist...or whatever it is you believe. Talk about insecurity...

Chris