 Administrative / General / 975
Re: Disappearing name in MS Outlook Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 23:39:02 GMT

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:26:15 GMT, "Alex Wetmore" <alex@phred.org>
wrote:

I've also tried using a number of other news readers and haven't had good
luck with anything else.  Most leave out features that I need, such as
support for multiple servers, and allowing connections to ports other then
119 (I tunnel my news connection through ssh and use port 10119).  There are
a few quirks in OE, but until someone can show me something that works
better and is free I'll stick with it.  I remember trying winvn, free agent,
newsxpress, slrn, and netscape's news client.  I've probably tried more then
that as well.

Have you tried commercial Agent 1.5? The multiple servers not being
there are still a bitch, but there's an easy workaround. if you start
the exe with as starting diurectory, say, Agent_lugnet, instead of
Agent, that should allow you to do a completely separate setup of
server, data, etc, all with the same executable files. I personally
just copied the directory and have double sets of executables. This
wastes 1.5 meg or so, but on the 150 megs of Newsgroup data I keep
around (I like to keep msgs for a month at least - and Lugnet is set
to never expire, I believe) that's a drop on a hot plate.

Hmmm... The difficult part appears to be the 10119 port. I can't find
rtight away what the setting is for that. I'll ask around.

Jasper