 Administrative / General / 9527
Re: Possible problem/bug
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:57:55 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:

Speculating: I suspect it was a policy change because the effect of
Supersede on the historical record is that you changed a particular
article at the very point in the thread where it previously was,
which is in effect an edit.

No, that is not true.  Superseding is technically mostly the same as
canceling and reposting the article.  The new article gets a new
Message-ID and a new article number.  It's not like editing an article
at all.

I've used Supersedes on LUGNET a few times, and whenever I did, I
could see a "Cancelled" placeholder for the old one in the thread tree
on the LUGNET news web interface.

Mail subscribers, as you say, are aware that you did it, but news
and web viewers who come later are not. All they see are the edited
words.

Not at all.  News subscribers will see the new article, but they will
not see the old one anymore once the new is posted.  If they read news
frequently, it will occur to them that the message got posted twice,
albeit with some changes the second time.

Fredrik