 Administrative / General / 9304
Re: The commonfolk's FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:44:11 GMT

Crossposted to admin.general

In lugnet.faq, Duane Hess writes:
In lugnet.faq, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.faq, Eric Kingsley writes:
How about an "Acronym of the Week" instead/as well.  A posting with an
Acronym of the week with a link to your Acronym page might help a lot of
people and cut down on the number of "what does 'POOP', 'SPUD', or 'BURP'
stand for" questions.

Huh. So you mean a post, once a week, including a single acronym that's
*already* on the FAQ? Interesting. I wonder if that would be useful. Does
anyone else think so, or disagree?

Actually, I think it would be good to post an already defined acronym to the
main LUGNET page. Sort of an "intro to LEGO". That way new people are aware
that there are acronyms and a place where they are defined. The current FAQ
page is a little buried if you ask me.

<snip>

While I can't take credit for Duane's great idea this is even better than what
I was thinking.  I was thinking just a post with an allready defined Acronym
once a week to keep the visability of the page up in order to reduce the number
of Acronym questions.

I think it would be great if we could get all the Acronyms into a simple
Database and have some sort of a random acronym chosen from the list whenever
someone loads the LUGNET home page and displayed is kind of a dictionary type
format with the acronym and its definition.

For example...

AFOL: Adult Fan Of LEGO (occasionally Adult Friend of LEGO)

The A, F, O, and L would be underlined to point out the acronym and the initial
"AFOL" could be bolded or highlighted.  Then beneath the random acronym there
could be a link to Acronym FAQ that could say something like "Learn More
Acronym's at Shiri Dori's Acronym FAQ".

Shiri,  Sorry for getting off track a bit I think the commonfolks FAQ is a good
idea too.  I have just noticed a lot of people asking about Acronyms lately and
I have been trying to think about how to raise visibility of your Acronym FAQ
so people don't have to ask.

Eric Kingsley