 FAQ / 1143
Re: The commonfolk's FAQ
Newsgroups:
lugnet.faq
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:18:53 GMT

In lugnet.faq, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.faq, Eric Kingsley writes:
How about an "Acronym of the Week" instead/as well.  A posting with an Acronym
of the week with a link to your Acronym page might help a lot of people and >cut down on the number of "what does 'POOP', 'SPUD', or 'BURP' stand for"
questions.

Huh. So you mean a post, once a week, including a single acronym that's
*already* on the FAQ? Interesting. I wonder if that would be useful. Does
anyone else think so, or disagree?

Actually, I think it would be good to post an already defined acronym to the
main LUGNET page. Sort of an "intro to LEGO". That way new people are aware
that there are acronyms and a place where they are defined. The current FAQ
page is a little buried if you ask me.

From what I understood, the person asking me for the entry-a-week intended a
new entry every week - with a humorous tone like the ones already there.

The message was:
Nice idea. But I was hoping to be able to visit the FAQ on a semi regular >basis for a mix of education and entertainment. • <snip>
Are you going to do a FAQ of the week :)
It could become almost as important as going looking for the
lsahs every week!

Does that make more sense? It would be different then what you are proposing
because the entry would be *new* every week, then to be tacked on to the
"commonfolk's FAQ".

I think a new acronym every week could get difficult after a short time,
that's why I would suggest recycling old acronyms through every so often.

While I understand why questions are asked repeatedly over time I think
something to help people out before they have to ask is a good thing and
reduces the number of redundant posts.

Heck I still use the Acronym FAQ quite a bit and I've been here a while.

That's good to know! Even I consult it from time to time (hey, I only
collected it, didn't make it up, don't blame me ;-).

-Shiri

My $.02

-Duane