 Administrative / General / 8338
Re: error message!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2000 04:25:43 GMT

Ya -- systems programmer/analyst at the BU (Boston University) Office of
Information Technology (same place Matthew Miller works).  Very laid back
environment, very Unix/Linux/Solaris.

Wow, almost the same title as my current job, same title as the one I've
applied for in the NT/Unix group here at UTK.  Current job is primarily NT
support, as would this other one be, but with more opportunities to get
involved in the Unix/Linux/Solaris side of things since that group handles
all that stuff as well.

Though the new day job is a "full-time" position, it means 35 hours/week and
they give 42 paid days off per year (four weeks vacation, one week interrim,
twelve holidays).  That works out to about 1585 hours/year, or an average of
about 30.5 hours/week, plus the usual overhead (commuting, lunch, etc.) -- so
it's a great fit for my lifestyle -- right now and very likely until I retire.

Sounds familiar.  I get just under 5 weeks vacation and then some amount of
paid holidays and "administrative closing" days - like the full week the Uni
shuts down for Xmas.  I don't punch a clock either - no timesheets or
anything.  'Course, I don't get overtime either, on those rare occasions
when I put in more than normal hours.  I try to keep those as rare as
possible.  :)

stable or intellectually fulfilling, so over the past year I've been keeping
my eyes open for a suitable "anchor" job -- something secure, low-stress,
interesting, educational -- in a very geek environment with constant exposure
to new stuff.

University jobs are great for that.  The free classes are a nice fringe
benefit too.

own before.  Since all of my Unix and web knowledge and experience has been at
my own expense, one criteria was finding a place where, as part of the job, I
would get paid to learn more of the types of things I've had to learn on my
own for LUGNET, rather than a place where I would get paid simply to apply
things I already knew.

Awesome - congratulations!  My dept is also pretty liberal with its training
budget.  In fact I'll be spending a week in DC in December for SANS bulking
up on NT/2000 security.  But the best thing is being exposed to new stuff
and a variety of things all the time - all I have to do is walk around and
look for it.

I'm very excited about this, and as you might guess, I didn't make the
decision lightly.  First contact was six weeks ago, and I picked the brains
of eight people there before signing on.  They also fully know about LUGNET
(in fact, it's what got me the job :-) and they understand that the LEGO
hobby is a pretty serious part of my life.

In terms of burn rate, this means more fuel and bigger engines.  Suzanne says
she hasn't seen me so happy in a very long time.

Way to go - I'm very happy for you!