 Administrative / General / 8329
Re: error message!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 04:06:18 GMT

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused -- and for not getting to
the bottom of this sooner.  We were out of town on business Tuesday and
Wednesday and I started a new day-job on Thursday

day job??  !
Can you tell us more?

Ya -- systems programmer/analyst at the BU (Boston University) Office of
Information Technology (same place Matthew Miller works).  Very laid back
environment, very Unix/Linux/Solaris.

IIRC you were planning to do LUGNET full time till
your burn rate got the best of you, are you at that point now?

Once I get settled, I may actually be able to devote more time to LUGNET than
any time since 1997.  I won't have to run parts auctions anymore (there'll be
AucZILLA XV and XVI, but those might be the last two if LEGO Bulk continues
on its current path).  I'll have much more discretionary income, which means
better things for LUGNET's server situation and other issues like office space
and travelling.  I'll finally be able to afford a Linux laptop, which will
mean I can bang out code at libraries, coffee shops, or empty lecture halls --
places I tend to have the most success with deep concentration.

Though the new day job is a "full-time" position, it means 35 hours/week and
they give 42 paid days off per year (four weeks vacation, one week interrim,
twelve holidays).  That works out to about 1585 hours/year, or an average of
about 30.5 hours/week, plus the usual overhead (commuting, lunch, etc.) -- so
it's a great fit for my lifestyle -- right now and very likely until I retire.

When I moved out here to Boston (almost exactly four years ago now), I'd been
planning on looking for full-time work when I arrived.  As it turned out, I
took some part-time work from the folks back home and then did the AucZILLA
thing pretty heavily in the meantime, spending whatever time I had left over
learning Unix stuff, Perl, web stuff, and working on LUGNET.  But neither
part-time contract work or AucZILLA work are things that I'd call comfortably
stable or intellectually fulfilling, so over the past year I've been keeping
my eyes open for a suitable "anchor" job -- something secure, low-stress,
interesting, educational -- in a very geek environment with constant exposure
to new stuff.

So the right thing came along at the right time.  In a way, it's a little bit
like going back to school, but getting paid to learn what I had to learn on my
own before.  Since all of my Unix and web knowledge and experience has been at
my own expense, one criteria was finding a place where, as part of the job, I
would get paid to learn more of the types of things I've had to learn on my
own for LUGNET, rather than a place where I would get paid simply to apply
things I already knew.

I'm very excited about this, and as you might guess, I didn't make the
decision lightly.  First contact was six weeks ago, and I picked the brains
of eight people there before signing on.  They also fully know about LUGNET
(in fact, it's what got me the job :-) and they understand that the LEGO
hobby is a pretty serious part of my life.

In terms of burn rate, this means more fuel and bigger engines.  Suzanne says
she hasn't seen me so happy in a very long time.

--Todd