 Administrative / General / 8327
Re: error message!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:34:51 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christian Gemuenden writes:
Can anyone tell me what happened or how I can fix this error? Or will I have
to live with this error message regarding these four sets?

Christian,

The error message was an internal consistency check -- the system noticed
that an element of the cross-reference data in a two-dimensional matrix
(that's what the "m2" in the assertion failure stood for) was inconsistent.
As near as I can figure, what happened is that, somehow, you entered an
ASCII #0 character (that is to say, an actual ASCII NUL (#0), not the digit
"0", which is ASCII #48) into the form fields for private and public notes
for two sets (2198 and 6569).

Since ASCII #0 is used in this particular instance as a list-item separator
in the data matrix (it assumed that ASCII 0 couldn't be present in the input
data), the extra ASCII 0 caused confusion and made the code think the data
was corrupt.

To clear up the problem, I converted the 0's to spaces (ASCII #32) in the raw
data.  (So you might want to double-check what shows up for those two sets.)
I also added an encoding filter on the data to make sure that ASCII 0's don't
sneak in again in the future.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused -- and for not getting to
the bottom of this sooner.  We were out of town on business Tuesday and
Wednesday and I started a new day-job on Thursday, so it's been an unusual
week.  Things should be settling back to normal in a few days.

--Todd