 Administrative / General / 743
CFD: lugnet.market.shipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.general, lugnet.faq
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:26:03 GMT

[Crossposted to lugnet.admin.general & lugnet.general & lugnet.faq, with
followups set to lugnet.admin.general]

This is an informal call for discussion on the topic of creating a new
newsgroup lugnet.market.shipping dedicated to:

   - discussions
   - experiences, wisdoms, tips, warnings
   - questions
   - etc.

about:

   - shipping methods
   - packing methods
   - couriers (e.g., USPS vs. UPS vs. FedEx, etc.)
   - timeframes (e.g., air vs. surface, priority mail vs. parcel post)
   - special options (registered vs. certified vs. insured, etc.)
   - postage rates (stamp denominations, rate changes, etc.)
   - customs fees and declared values
   - package-weighing scales
   - brands of cellophane tape
   - label printing
   - making your own padding material with a paper shredder
   - etc.

I think the topic of shipping is large and common enough that it would
benefit from its own focused discussion area in the same way that the
storage and .publish groups do -- esoteric areas with sporadic threads
where a lot of expertise might otherwise get lost in the shuffle.

Having a separate .shipping newsgroup also implies a separate and "real"
branch of the new FAQ.

Another reason for a .shipping group is to give shipping discussions a
better home than lugnet.general, since shipping discussions are really sort
of "off-topic" in the pure LEGO sense -- they're only about LEGO indirectly
and certainly noise to people who want to talk pure LEGO.

On the other hand, all person-to-person shipping/packing discussions are
reasonably "on-topic" in the .market ng tree, which is defined as...

   lugnet.market.*  (hierarchy)
       Virtual marketplace where people can buy/sell/trade/auction LEGO
       items

   lugnet.market.auction  (group)
       Auction announcements, updates, listings, and analysis; NOTE: this
       group is the ONLY group where auction announcements or updates are
       appropriate

   lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade  (group)
       Community trading post, items wanted, items for straight sale (no
       auctions), experiences, market analysis, etc.

...and packing & shipping are things that every auctioneer and seller/trader
do.

BTW, I'd like to donate the entire auction & shipping FAQ...

   http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/auction/

...to the larger FAQ effort underway in lugnet.faq.  Sections 7 & 8 of the
auction & shipping FAQ cover packing & shipping.

--Todd