 Administrative / General / 7306
  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) When I enter a set number and select "Popup" item in the search box, my browser (IE 5.0, Win 98) tries to download something. It shows the "Save to Disk, Run from Current Place" dialog. So if you know how to fix that please tell me. Thanks. (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) I don't know a fix, no, but with some more clues, maybe it'll become apparent what's wrong. Could you try another thing? When you get that dialog box, choose to save it to disk (just make up some .txt file name) and, What gets saved there? (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) This is what appears in notepad (the default title for the cgi file is ql.cgi by the way): window.open("(URL) "_blank", "toolbar=0,location=...ar=0,scrol lbars=1,resizable=1,...ght=280"); Hope that helps. -Nick (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

I am not the original complainant but I have the same problem (Win 98/IE 5.5) The file is ql.js. If I choose "run from current location" the following error window pops up: "Script: c:\windows\Temporary Internet Files\content.IE5\CS...R\ql[2].js (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) OK, ya, that helps. It sounds like your web browser isn't wanting to execute JavaScript. At least it gets it correctly...it just isn't executing it. Do you have JavaScript disabled in your preferences settings? --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) I usually consider myself computer savvy but now I can't find where I turn on or off JavaScript in IE 5. Anyone want to give me some help? (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Speaking for myself (obviously!) as another afflicted lugnet user, Java Scripting is enabled and I've never encountered a problem with it before, only this pop-up box on Lugnet. Deidre drb@tasmail.com (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Tools/Internet Options/Security Settings Deidre drb@tasmail.com (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  (canceled)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Sorry to continue bothering everyone with this, but I still can't find it even in Security Settings. Is there an exact box I can check or uncheck or an option button within Security Settings? -Nick (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Ok, I've got IE 5.5 so I'm assuming that 5.0 looks similar if not the same. Choose your Zone (Internet) and then in the bottom part of the window there are buttons for Default Level and Custom Level. Click on Custom Level to see what Default (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Thanks for your quick reply. All of the stuff you listed I tried and it didn't work but if you have the same problem then that's probably not it. Thanks for trying though. It's kinda weird though because the Java quickset thing works perfectly (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) hmm... When you've used it before, was it embedded in webpages or was it a standalone file, like this, served as a MIME type of application/x-javascript? --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Wait...are you talking about Java or JavaScript? Both are names of computer programming languages, but they're *very* different things. --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

You might want to try TOOLS/WINDOWS UPDATE and get IE 5.5 just a thought... EC (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) I tried this with IE 4.72 on win98 and a slightly older version on winnt. Embedded javascript works, but it looks like the window object is not defined in standalone files. John (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Where I said "Java scripting" I meant JavaScript (and hence JScript being Microsoft's version of it), although Java doesn't give me any grief either (this is as a user, I've never programmed either). In terms of enabling them in IE 5.x I was (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Following up on my own post, Netscape Communicator 4.74 (not 4.4 typo) works fine, standard installation on Windows 98. So this set reference pop-up error would seem to be IE specific (from what's been reported). Deidre (off to enjoy Friday (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Well, I'm about at wit's end here on this one, although possibly I may have found a workaround. Internet Exploit^H^Hrer is generally really great about being compatible with Netscape Navigator, but in this case -- where the server is returning (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

OK, that works fine for me - that means it's probably not to do with the scripting tools that were disabled. Many many thanks Todd!! You are a genius when it comes to working out these little bugs. ;-) Cheers ... Geoffrey Hyde Todd Lehman (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Todd, I tried it and it fixed my problem. Thanks, Steve (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) OK, one more thing to try (if you don't mind): (URL) I've moved the JavaScript code to a separate file which gets fetched via the SRC= attribute of the <SCRIPT> tag. This way, each HTML page only needs an extra ~20 characters (as opposed to (...) (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Yes, that also works! Thanks. -- David Schilling (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) OK, great! Worked on my Win98+MSIE5 test system too. I'll cut it over to the "real thing." Thanks for your help. --Todd (24 years ago, 4-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Web interface to LUGNET news moving from www.lugnet.com to news.lugnet.com

(...) Both work for me Todd! Great job yet again. Thanks. -Nick (24 years ago, 5-Aug-00, to lugnet.admin.general)