 Administrative / General / 7234
Re: lugnet.dev.null or somesuch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 11:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I was just thinking that everyonce in a while I post something which I
don't expect any replies to, it would be neat if there was a
lugnet.dev.null or lugnet.trashbin or something which we could set
followups to. The group could either actually discard the posts, or keep
the posts. It would be nice if they didn't show up in the web interface
as replies, at least by default.

How different is .off-topic.debate from that already?

Than a trashbin? Well, quite a bit different I would hope, at least the
participants would like to think so. What are you trying to say here?

How many net-savvy
people who wanted to post a real reply would simply change the ng line prior
to posting?

I'm net savvy and I forget somewhere between 10 and 25 percent of the time.
Setting followups correctly seems to be a challenge for me, it's so easy to
forget

What would newbies think when they posted a reply not knowing
where they reply was going, and their reply never showed up?

Hopefully if this was implemented in the way Frank is suggesting, a big
warning would come up when they tried to post saying "followups have been set
to dev.null and your reply will not be seen, enter the group or groups you
want this post to go to, if you really disagree with the author's intent that
it not be followup-able" and this warning would come up before any content was
created. (kind of like the current "you're not authorized to post but I'm not
telling you exactly why, have fun trying to figure out the posting setup
screen" does now, or at least like the "your message was not accepted" which
happens after the content is created, which isn't quite as good)

++Lar