 Administrative / General / 7230
Re: lugnet.dev.null or somesuch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:58:07 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
I was just thinking that everyonce in a while I post something which I
don't expect any replies to, it would be neat if there was a
lugnet.dev.null or lugnet.trashbin or something which we could set
followups to. The group could either actually discard the posts, or keep
the posts. It would be nice if they didn't show up in the web interface
as replies, at least by default.

How different is .off-topic.debate from that already?  How many net-savvy
people who wanted to post a real reply would simply change the ng line prior
to posting?  What would newbies think when they posted a reply not knowing
where they reply was going, and their reply never showed up?

I would expect a net-savvy person to be posting something which actually
was worthwhile, and to chose an appropriate group. The concern of mine
which brought this up is the recent tendency for discussions to get
crossposted to a bunch of groups, and then that crossposting gets
continued for no good reason. When this starts happening, it seems like
a public reminder to trim the newsgroups line is worthwhile, but of
course one doesn't really want anyone replying to the request (though I
one could FUT to lugnet.admin.general [which is what I ended up doing]).

It was just an interesting idea which came up, but which may have about
zero benefit (but probably doesn't have too high a cost).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com