 Administrative / General / 7238
Re: lugnet.dev.null or somesuch
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:51:39 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
A "sneaky" way to implement that at all levels (HTTP, NNTP, SMTP) might be to
allow the 'Followup-To' header to be set to a standard group name like 'junk'
but then weed it out (as it currently is) at reply-time.  That is, if you set
'Followup-To' to 'junk' (or whatever the special name was) and someone replied
to that message, then their newsreader would propagate the name 'junk' from
the 'Followup-To' header to the 'Newsgroups' header and their message would be
rejected by the server because the group 'junk' doesn't exist.  Then they'd get
the standard error message of "Your message is addressed to a group which does
not exist" (not especially friendly).

I'm trying to set followups on this one to junk. I don't think Netscape
will let me post it though... Nope, didn't work.

Another thing that would kinda work is to use the standard NNTP 'Followup-To'
setting of 'poster' -- although this actually directs replies to your email
address rather than to a void.  (That's probably not a real solution.)

Ok, let's try "poster"

My main concern is making something that tells people that their post was
accepted but was actually thrown away.  That is, I think it would be bad to
make a "bottomless pit" or "total void" group -- although I think it could be
good to make a "your post hits a brick wall and goes splat" group.  As long
as there's a warning somehow somewhere (perhaps a rejection notice) that the
post wouldn't actually be accepted and posted, then we're looking at something
safe.

BTW, wouldn't it be nice if the preview-before-posting page helped people let
off a bit of steam?  Someone could compose a nasty flamage reply and then see
their message all formatted up like a real one, but then cancel it before
posting.  :)

--Todd

--
Frank Filz