 Administrative / General / 7124
Re: compartmentalized dorks redux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:26:07 GMT

I don't remember flatly rejecting it, but I remember a lot of opinions on both
sides of the issue -- people who think it would be a good idea and people who
think it would be a bad idea.  More likely (and I lean toward thinking perhaps
it's inevitable someday) is creating subgroups of the .market groups
for specific themes rather than creating .market subgroups of each theme.

Either would be good.  I could come up with advantages of either
way.  I have a preference for appending the .marketplace groups to
the theme hierarchies for ease of reading via the web interface.  On the
other hand, placing them all within a .marketplace hierarchy would make
it much simpler to filter the marketplace posts out with the filter
settings.  Since I'd want to read the marketplace posts, I'd lean towards
the former argument, but someone who wouldn't want to would lean towards
the latter.  No big deal either way - either would be great.

The
sub-group nomenclature of all the theme/system groups (lugnet.castle,
lugnet.town, lugnet.space, etc.) is reserved for "sub-themes" (or as LEGO • calls
them, the "play themes" within the systems), for example Forestmen within
Castle, Arctic within Town, Blacktron within Space, etc.

The exception being, I suppose. castle.org -- that's the newsgroup
that got me thinking about having a marketplace forum attached to
each major theme.

here could always
be cross-ref links from the /castle/, /town/, and /space/ areas on the website
to the corresponding market areas.

Sure, that'd work.  I'd probably just subscribe to a marketplace.castle
and marketplace.space group by email, anyway, so I wouldn't mope regardless
of which solution is chosen.

I do think that having .marketplace groups appended to the theme
newsgroups would fill the desire some people (like the guy who
originally made the 'compartmentalized dork' comment) have to place
ads directly in the themed discussion areas.  But apparently this has
already been hashed out to fair degree, so I'm sure that argument has
been made.  So I'll just go on the record as supporting the division
of .marketplace into themed subgroups.

By the way, on a completely different topic, I'd like to extend kudos -
I like how the rating system evolved.  I was quite turned off by
the original implementation of the rating system, and was quite glad to
see that it had evolved into something less punative and controversial.
Good job, Todd and community.

--

Jeff <jthompson@esker.com>   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"