 Administrative / General / 685
Re: Profanity (was Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:28:26 GMT

Beaker wrote in message ...
Also sprach Moz (Chris Moseley):
: For instance, RTL is a venue that allows, even encourages, completely
: free expression. If you can't post within reasonable bounds then perhaps
: RTL is more your cup of tea than LugNet is?

That's the thing, Chris: I believe I do post within reasonable bounds.
My posts are not dripping with profanity; but occasionally I think some
off-color word is the appropriate one and I like having the option.

That's not really the issue - you keep saying "like" and "can live without"
but at the same time you insistently argue against a ban. Would it mean
that much to you to have this area declared a clean zone? The more you
protest the more I discount what I've seen of your postings in favour
of a picture of you as someone who occasionally breaks down into a
mess of incoherent swearing, and feels that that is a good thing.

As Larry says, the ban increases choices, and making it unilateral simplifies
Todd's job. As someone who has had to set these things up I'm inclined toward
simplicity of implementation. And simply saying no use of these words...
makes things simple both to code and to explain. Both desirable outcomes.

And Beaker, I still have trouble believing that you swear vigorously
in front of your grandparents and children. And I have to assume
that you're also an atheist. The thing to remember is that on the
net you cannot know who is reading your posts - your mullah, mother,
doctor or boss could all be lurking, and I think your language should
be more inclined towards their end of the scale than that of your
drinking buddies.

Moz