 Administrative / General / 680
Re: Profanity (was Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 15:07:38 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> wrote:
If it were up to me, I would have no problem with a general feeling that
such language is to be used sparingly if at all, and that a disticntion
be drawn between casual use and abusive behavior.  But I would be
strongly opposed to unilateral ban on such language, or sanctions
against it.  The issue is in too much dispute for my libertarian
philosophy to accept an absolute ban.

Sorry to accuse you of waving that libertarian flag a little too
strongly, but if you look at it from a true libertarian perspective
wouldn't you respect a unilateral ban HERE, on Lugnet, since this IS a
private system owned by two private individuals?  Since this is their
property don't they have every right to have whatever kind of rules
they want to govern the use of THEIR property?

However, it's not up to me, it's up to you, Todd.  I do think the issue
is in need of clarification.  Personally, I will honor whatever decision
you make, but I can't guarantee that I will continue to post here if
legal and widely acceptable speech is banned.  It's a personal quirk,
and not meant to challenge you.  I hope you understand.

Doesn't seem any different than my refusal to let people, even family
or friends, smoke in my home.  It's my home, and they have every right
to not visit because I won't let them smoke, but they still do.

I personally have no problem with most language others find offensive.
You can't serve in the military and not become kinda hardened to it.
But I do accept that lots of people do have a problem with it.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide