 Administrative / General / 676
Re: Profanity (was Re: Lego(r) Master Maniac designation?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 07:10:19 GMT

Beaker wrote in message ...
To me the issue is about whether you pander to the lowest common
denominator or not.  As I see it, too much of popualr culture is held
hostage to the expectations of the most conservative members.  The
internet itself is a good exmple: this wonderful forum for communication
is repeatedly threatened by clueless legislators who think that
everything online should be reduced to the level of 'Goodnight Moon' ...

While I agree with you, I think you're misapplying the principle. We
*should* discourage the LCD approach, but with the intention of raising
the standard not lowering it. Too much of the internet is already devoted
to showing that anarchy is not a good mechanism for producing erudite
discussion, so if people want that they're not exactly short of options.

For instance, RTL is a venue that allows, even encourages, completely
free expression. If you can't post within reasonable bounds then perhaps
RTL is more your cup of tea than LugNet is?

Moz