 Administrative / General / 5824
Re: Article rating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:42:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, David Schilling writes:
Actually, if you are rating individual articles, it seems a bit of a pain to
use it.  The reason is the time lag is unacceptable.  Clicking on the submit
rating or change rating button causes the entire page to be refreshed.  This
alone takes quite a while, even with a fast connection.  And then you also
need to click the "back" button on your browser TWICE instead of once, taking
even more time.

Twice?  That's odd...what browser are you using?  Since it's getting an HTTP
'Location' relocator, it should only make you click Back once.

I wish there was a way to submit the rating without having the page reload.

Technically, I think it's possible.  I seem to remember there being an HTTP
response that says "no response."  If there were a tiny image-map, it could
(theoretically) do something like this.

A suggestion would be in the 'tree' modes, to also somehow indicate which
articles you've read, perhaps by making the dot a different colour.  What do
you think, Todd?  Is it possible?  Is it worth doing?

Anything is possible -- this is programmning, not physics.  :)
Worth doing?  Yah, probably a few weeks down the road.  (No promises tho)

--Todd