 Administrative / General / 5823
Re: Article rating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:35:15 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:
I know it is still early days. but I've been watching the article scoring
since it came in less than a week or so ago. I expected more and more of the
members to score on more and more posts, but the exact opposite _appears_ to
be occurring. I can not see the system(?),  as I am not a member, so that
lack off participation indicates to me that one, or more, of several things
are happening:

1. The system is hard to use?

It's pretty easy!

Actually, if you are rating individual articles, it seems a bit of a pain to
use it.  The reason is the time lag is unacceptable.  Clicking on the submit
rating or change rating button causes the entire page to be refreshed.  This
alone takes quite a while, even with a fast connection.  And then you also
need to click the "back" button on your browser TWICE instead of once, taking
even more time.  I wish there was a way to submit the rating without having
the page reload.

On the other hand, you can view an entire tree of messages all at once, and
rate each one as you read it.  This is a bit better, but also has problems.
It takes forever to load large trees this way, (not a problem when you first
download it, you expect it then) but when you submit the ratings, you end up
waiting a *loooong* time before you can use the browser again.  Also, if you
click on a link, type in a URL, or go away some other way, when you come back,
all the ratings you've entered, but not yet submitted, disappear.  You have to
re-rate them all.  (ARG!)  (I'm using IE 5, it might just be a problem with
this particular browser.)  So before doing anything else, you need to click
the submit button, causing a long pause then and there, making it very painful
to even want to follow someones like to a cool web site, etc.

I suspect that the extra time needed to rate the messages is a large reason
people aren't doing it.  Hopefully there is a way to speed up the rating
process.

In spite of that, I've gone to rating every message I read anyway.  I really
like the system keeping track of which articles I've read: when you rate an
article, it is marked with a ">>" in various lists.  Maybe when people realize
how useful this is, they'll start rating more articles as well.

A suggestion would be in the 'tree' modes, to also somehow indicate which
articles you've read, perhaps by making the dot a different colour.  What do
you think, Todd?  Is it possible?  Is it worth doing?

--
  David Schilling