 Administrative / General / 5726
5725  |  5727
Subject:
Article rating?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:32:59 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I know it is still early days. but I've been watching the article scoring
since it came in less than a week or so ago. I expected more and more of the
members to score on more and more posts, but the exact opposite _appears_ to
be occurring. I can not see the system(?),  as I am not a member, so that
lack off participation indicates to me that one, or more, of several things
are happening:

1. The system is hard to use?
2. Members to not like to rate other's posts?
3. Apathy prevails?
4. ?

I'm raising this as a quick glance at .general right now shows that the
majority of post have one or less votes. I think that rating posts,
conceptually, is a good idea. But the current usage levels make the system a
mere distraction. Currently only 1 of the 4 "spotlight" items has more than
2 votes, whilst yesterday the average was less than 3 votes per item. I'd
argue that a post needs >10 votes to make that votes meaningful? I dread to
think what the average number of votes per post is? Single votes on
individual votes _can_ start to make postes paranoid:
http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=5157

Right now posts are being rated "nil", but they have zero replies. If a post
is so upsetting, surly it demands a comment? Mine did:
http://www.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=5137

Scott A