 Administrative / General / 5477
Re: summaries on main page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:34:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Dan:

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:48:38 GMT sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) wrote

[...]

If you want to be really nice, you can make the script
generating the preview page check the URL's, and mark those
that return an error status in a distinct colour.

that'd be scary - while it's possible to make it safe to do so, I
wouldn't want users to be able to tell my server to get arbitrary bits
of html.  There's just a lot of things that can go wrong. :/

Since the script wouldn't have to grab any HTML at all, I
can't see what the problem is. You just do a HEAD request
and check if the result is below 400.

Checking the URL http://www.lugnet.com/boats/ can for
example be done as follows:

   Me....: telnet www.lugnet.com 80
   Lugnet: Trying 209.68.63.236...
   Lugnet: Connected to lugnet.com.
   Lugnet: Escape character is '^]'.
   Me....: HEAD /boats/ HTTP/1.0
   Me....:
* Lugnet: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
   Lugnet: Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 21:29:46 GMT
   Lugnet: Server: Apache/1.2.6
   Lugnet: Connection: close
   Lugnet: Content-Type: text/html
   Lugnet:
   Lugnet: Connection closed by foreign host.

It's the line marked with an asterisk that is interesting.
Numbers below 400 correspond to working URL's. 400 and above
are error messages.

I have appended a (t)csh script for checking URL's.

If it is done correctly, the /robots.txt should probably be
checked before the script checks for the existance of the
resource.

Play well,

Jacob

--  E-mail:               sparre@cats.nbi.dk              --
--  Web...:  <URL: http://hugin.ldraw.org/LEGO/Biler/ >   --

#!/bin/tcsh

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#--  Check parameter:

if ( "$1" == "") then
   echo "Programmet kræver et HTTP URL som argument."
   exit 1
endif

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#--  Split parameter:

set protokol=`echo $1 | cut -d':' -f1`
set maskine=`echo $1 | cut -d':' -f2- | cut -d'/' -f3`
set resource=/`echo $1 | cut -d':' -f2- | cut -d'/' -f4-`

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#--  Prøv telnet:

if ( "$protokol" == "http" ) then
   ( echo "HEAD $resource /HTTP 1.0"; \
     echo ""; \
     sleep 10s ) \
     | telnet $maskine 80 \
     |& grep HTTP > /tmp/HTTP-resultat
   set resultat=`cut -d" " -f2- /tmp/HTTP-resultat`

   echo $protokol\://$maskine$resource $resultat
else
   echo "Ukendt protokol."
   exit 2
endif