 Administrative / General / 5465
Re: summaries on main page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:51:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:
Hmmm... can someone help me figure out what's going on here?
<snip>

I think it's because of lie breaks in the message. When a message gets too
many replies, the last words from the early replies get pushed by the
bracket ">" and they slip down to the next row. Lugnet is smart about it and
puts them back in place if no extra line is entered between the last row that
starts with the brackety-thingie (">") and the line that's "written".
have you ever seen little dots in the middle of the "previous post text"?

This is quoted from that post:

"nice • word to be using"

The dot here denotes a line break which lugnet found to be an unintentional
one. In the raw message you'll see two rows (I think). So lugnet is smart
about that, but it's not smart enough to keep that line off the summary
page... any words coming between that dot (an enter, supposedly) and the end
of the line are not bracketed so they are looked upon by the summary algorithm
as part of the message, I guess.

I hope that explains it... I also hope that's right ;-)

-Shiri