 Administrative / General / 5160
Re: Missing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:50:56 GMT

rather than, let's say for example, a lively discussion of Toy Story 2?
[...]

Yes and no.

The "no" part:  No, that's not what I want people to see on the homepage.
You should be able to (and now actually can) see those off-topic messages
when you visit -- if you want to see them.  (Or you can leave them turned
off if you don't want to see them.)

The "yes" part:  Yes, that is what I want people to see on the homepage,
rather than a lively discussion about Toy Story 2 or about whether or not
God is homosexual.  Those are interesting discussions, but there's a higher
probability of a brand-new user stopping by and staying if the homepage is
more LEGO-focused and less off-topic focused.  So the off-topic and admin
noise is off by default.  But it optionally can be turned back on.

Hope I answered your question...?

--Todd

   Yippee!  Now I'm one happy Lugnut.  Yes, I know I went overboard and
exaggerating, but I was really frustrated with the whole discussion section
being wiped out.  But you came through in a very impressive way and you have
my deepest respect.
   I really do understand your point about Lego users coming to talk about
Lego, because there is a time when I tire of the same old debate, even if I
initiate it.  Your way of handling it now is better than I any system I had
thought up.
   My apologies to any who may have been offended by my comments, especially
Larry, though I don't think he's the sort to get offended that easy.  :O)

Blessings on all of you,
Thanx bunches, Todd!

Markus