 Administrative / General / 5137
Re: Missing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 06:40:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Markus Wolf writes:
P.S.  From the looks of it then, if there is a hot off topic discussion,
all you'll see is hidden messages.  I don't think that solves anything,
but it does keep certain messages silent for those who don't want to hear
them. Interesting...

That's precisely the problem that it solves.

So then what you want people to see when they come on to Lugnet is:

(not shown are 4 messages from lugnet.offtopic.fun)

rather than, let's say for example, a lively discussion of Toy Story 2?
[...]

Yes and no.

The "no" part:  No, that's not what I want people to see on the homepage.
You should be able to (and now actually can) see those off-topic messages
when you visit -- if you want to see them.  (Or you can leave them turned
off if you don't want to see them.)

The "yes" part:  Yes, that is what I want people to see on the homepage,
rather than a lively discussion about Toy Story 2 or about whether or not
God is homosexual.  Those are interesting discussions, but there's a higher
probability of a brand-new user stopping by and staying if the homepage is
more LEGO-focused and less off-topic focused.  So the off-topic and admin
noise is off by default.  But it optionally can be turned back on.

Hope I answered your question...?

--Todd