 Administrative / General / 5133
Re: Missing posts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:44:27 GMT

P.S.  From the looks of it then, if there is a hot off topic discussion, all
you'll see is hidden messages.  I don't think that solves anything, but it
does keep certain messages silent for those who don't want to hear them.
Interesting...

That's precisely the problem that it solves.

--Todd

So then what you want people to see when they come on to Lugnet is:

(not shown are 4 messages from lugnet.offtopic.fun)

rather than, let's say for example, a lively discussion of Toy Story 2?
Because now they're not talking about why no Legos were included.  Now they're
talking about Woody and Buzz.

    I mean, it's your thing.  And I know it would end the banter, good or bad,
alot quicker.  From my perspective, I come on Lugnet to meet the people who
like Lego.  Not just to talk Lego.  As a newbie, I learned more about Lindsey
Brown (spelling?) alot quicker during the Mormon bashing talk then I did when
he talked about red roof pieces.  And we disagree on alot of things that he
forced me to think about.  And I think I'm a better person because of it.
    I guess when you all think about "Lego Users Group," you put the emphasis
on "Lego" rather than "Users."  And that's fine, I guess, cuz it is your
thing.  I just wish I would've been a part of Lugnet during the early days,
when it was less political.
    If I can rant a little bit, since nobody's gonna read this post anyway but
you, do you suppose the same people who get all upset about discussions about
God, are the same people who turn the TV channel when starving children are on
because it might spoil their dinner.  And look straight ahead walking faster
when the panhandler asks for money so they don't have to see the sadness in
his eyes?
    Do you think the thing that makes America great is because we're so
comfortable we don't have to be responsible?
    I like to go on missions trips BECAUSE I get too comfortable here.  And I
hope (pray?) that I'm never so caught up in the basic brick that I can't have
a deeper, maybe painfully deeper, discussion with the people who use them.

Silenced again,
Markus Wolf