 Administrative / General / 4968
Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 02:29:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover writes:
Sometimes I think I'm the only LUGnut who uses a newsreader to access
LUGNET.  I'm curious to know what percentage of people read and post to
LUGNET via news vs. the web interface vs. e-mail.  That is, what
percentage of posts contain "X-Nntp-Gateway:
http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/" vs. something else?

I'm sure this is one line of Perl.  :-)

Ahh, something pleasant and geeky for the day!  :-)  Ya, I bet it could be
done in one line of Perl too :) but I just used grep, awk, sort, and uniq
instead because it was less thinking.

OK, considering all articles in the system (as of a couple hours ago), here's
the breakdown:

         #        %  Origin
   -------  -------  --------------------------------------------------
     35446   31.01%  http://www.lugnet.com/news/post/
     59780   52.30%  direct NNTP access
    114303     100%

(This counts all articles exactly once, including cancelled articles, and
also including Handy Board messages, which go back more than 4 years.)

And for something more up-to-date (just the most recent 10,000 articles),
here's the breakdown:

         #        %  Origin