 Administrative / General / 4997
Re: Statistics request: NNTP vs HTTP vs SMTP/POP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 20:24:23 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover wrote:

Mmmm, yummy statistics, thanks!  So my suspicion was incorrect overall,
but sort of correct for recent posts.  Maybe it's just that I read the
newer posts, or that the groups that I do read have more web postings.

If, as Richard F suspects, there has been an increase in web usage over
time, that would make sense.  My take on it is that the first LUGnuts
(or LUGnetters, whichever makes you happy) were refugees from RTL who
had, for the most part, been using newsreaders to access RTL (except
for those who used a portal such as Deja).  Then, as LUGNET hits
people's radar and makes it into /. and the SF Chron and other media,
what is mentioned is not news:lugnet.com but http://www.lugnet.com/, so
newcomers first experience LUGNET via the web interface.

Another factor: over time, the web-interface has steadily improved,[1]
while the news-interface has remained basically the same.  So people are
incentivized to use Lugnet from the web.  Also, setting up a newsreader
to get LUGNET takes a certain amount of work, and non-techies are less
likely to bother.

Since the statistics are poster-based, they can't tell us how *readers*
are accessing LUGNET.  I suspect that 'message-reads' would show an even
stronger trend toward the web-interface over all other methods.

Steve
--
1) The web-interface's continual improvement is amazing to me.  From its
infancy, LUGNET's web-interface as been the best web-based message