 Administrative / General / 4311
Re: Space Shuttle #1682
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 05:09:12 GMT

Sortafast wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

No, not really.  I think that "which do not explicitly welcome their
presence" is pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

Well, jeez, since _you_ think it's straightforward, everyone else must too.

I am a newbie here, but since I saw these posts, I thought it might be ok.

Part of the confusion is that buy/sell/trade/shopping posts are ok in other
groups, though they should be used sparingly. Todd, I think it would help if
there was a T&C item which mentioned buy/sell/trade/shopping posts
(indicating that they are discouraged outside of the appropriate market
group). Perhaps a pointer to further discussion of what is considered a
auction post, some tips on threading your auction updates (and
buy/sell/trade updates - though I see fewer problems there), and discussing
when it is appropriate to post a market post in a non market group
(obviously someone wanting to sell/trade locally ONLY should use their loc
group, announcements of a sale at an independent toy store would also be
appropriate for a local group, announcements of which local stores have the
just released sets is another reasonable candidate [though if your state
hasn't been mentioned in shopping, post there so those who are interested in
how the new releases spread can see]).

I would also like to see lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands be the 2nd group
which explicitly allows auction postings (with a note to the effect that if
it gets out of hand [by your judgement], that will change).

The T&C should probably also point out that since you strongly prefer not to
cancel posts, that one should not take the presence of a post which violates
the T&C as proof that the T&C can be interpreted more loosely (you might
also want to re-think your policy on canceling posts, the internal
discussion groups at IBM have gone through a lot of thinking and discussion
about canceling posts, and they will cancel posts which are way out of line
[they will also move other posts to the appropriate group, sometimes moving

Just my thoughts.

Frank