 Administrative / General / 4125
Re: Posting problem with the web-interface!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 21:25:54 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 07:00:45 GMT, mattdm@mattdm.org (Matthew Miller)
wrote:
Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote:
  http://info.internet.isi.edu:80/in-notes/rfc/files/rfc850.txt

850 is obsoleted by 1036.

Doesn't mean it's no longer relevant.

I'm confused as to why the lines are even *ever* chopped at 512 by *anyone*.
As far as I can tell, only the *command* lines of the protocol are limited
to 512 characters -- not the content of the posts.  Is that right?

Ah, yes. That's right. That was the conclusion on ASR last time.

Typical misinterpretation.

I think you are correct. 1038 doesn't seem to specify any limit. The
Internet draft at
<URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-article-02.txt>
suggests 998 as a _minimum_ ("MUST") and lines of arbitrary length as
recommended ("SHOULD"). I'm not sure where they got that number from; it
seems to revolve around 1000 - CRLF; it's possible that the number they
picked is completely arbitrary.

It sounds completely arbitrary. The only limit found commonly in the
wild is the 512 one.

Jasper