 Administrative / General / 4114
Re: Posting problem with the web-interface!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 04:18:04 GMT

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 03:24:50 GMT, "Todd Lehman" <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

<38724152.EC9D21B2@cleanweb.net> <38730C3E.AE35B152@pilot.msu.edu>
<Fnv9B7.H2D@lugnet.com> <387356CD.F163AA7@voyager.net>
<3882db17.91566531@lugnet.com> <38741821.9B62453@uswest.net>
<38741B3F.F8D3F7F6@voyager.net> <FnwDE9.Eos@lugnet.com>
<FnxEKG.Iz4@lugnet.com> <3874E642.D0715C15@voyager.net>
<Fny09J.L1o@lugnet.com> <Fny956 <slrn87c1ls.klj.mattdm@jadzia.bu.edu>
<FnzMpC.7Eu@lugnet.com> <FnzoAK.Erx@lugnet.com>
<38b59d4f.272385451@lugnet.com>

|Subject: Re: Libitarian guff (Was: Re: Art Debate Was: [Re: Swearing?])

So it looks like there's a bugaboo somewhere -- possibly related to the
length of the 'References:' header -- where it inserts a bogus blank line
between the 'References:' and the 'Subject:' headers.

There's also that <Fny956 thingy. That should rightfully be trimmed by
the newsserver, being not a valid Reference (them things, say the RFC,
are enclosed in <>'s).

Anyway, by my count, there are exactly 511 characters in that
reference. 512 is the limit. I'm betting on that 512th character to be
filled with \n from somewhere illegally. Probably a
start-at-0/start-at-1 cockup.

It may be a good idea, to avoid both this and other future problems,
to trim References:  headers as they near the 512 limit.

One should do so, say, as the references: headers pass 400 characters.
Always leave the first message-ID, and as many of the last ones as you
can. This is standard behavior on many newsclients. Unfortunately,
nowadays people writing clients don't read the RFC's anymore (plus
they're ambiguous), so a server should be either able to deal with
header lines longet than 512, or do something about them. I suspect
this is an artefact of CNews' age.

I've seen numerous cases on long threads here where threading is
screwed due to a blatant references cockup.

Newsclients _generally_ put the References: header after From: and
Subject: (as the very last, even), though, possibly even to avoid this
very problem..

And now, time to sleep.

Jasper